Saturday, May 7, 2011

It's Been Almost a Week!

   I decided to start a blog after a couple requests.  This should allow you to hopefully keep up with baby  updates and it allows me to share some of my thoughts about hospital life...listen to me, I already sound like I'm committed here forever!  This has definitely been a trying time for me and our whole family.  We have been so appreciative to the family and friends who have poured so much time, energy, and prayer to help us get through this. 
   A brief roundup:  I have been in the hospital since Monday afternoon.  I started at IU West in Avon and I was transferred via ambulance Monday late night to IU downtown.   They started me on magnesium to stop the contractions.  I was on the mag for about 2 1/2 days...long days feeling like my body was made of lead!  However, the last couple days I have been back to my old self and I am even disconnected from my IV or any consistent monitoring.  Unfortunately being dialated at 6 or 7 and 90% effaced with the bag of water ready to break, they can't feel safe allowing me to go home...so I'm stuck here until baby decides to make his/her breakthrough (literally)!
  As much as this has required some physical endurance, I have moved past most of that, and I am now trying not to be emotionally and spiritually defeated.  I am content with the fact that I am here most of the time alone.  I have preferred that Cade spend as much time at home and work at this point for a sense of normalcy and peace (esp. for kids)...I know we will have plenty of days ahead with chaos and irregularity.  I pass my days watching some T.V., reading (currently reading The Help), and spending time on the computer.  I have appreciated random visitors and talking on the phone or fb to friends!
  Insight to hospital life:  My nurses have been fabulous.  I have really enjoyed them all.  I usually have nurses for 2 days or 2 nights in a row, then I'm on my my next set.  They are so sweet and have been really encouraging.  It's been a little bit of a struggle not having my own regular OB at this point.  Every morning a team of doctors, med students, residents, etc..bombard my room around 8:30am to check in on me, and then at least two of them check in throughout the day.  Honestly, the worst part of this stay has been the hospital food.  In the past, I don't remember thinking it was so bad.  However, lately I feel like I'm questioning whether I'm in a prison or nursing home instead of a hospital  For example, I received my breakfast about an hour ago...Really, a green banana, warm milk for cereal, and the smell of opening the tray to a simple english muffin is almost unbearable.  I still have my sense of smell, I still actually taste my food, and I contribute to society...shouldn't I get real food?  You would think since it takes them an hour after you order to actually get the food to your room, that it would be fresh, but I'm starting to really think they've been watching that commericial where the guy goes around the hotel hallway to collect a nice breakfast from old room service trays for his wife.  I know the ecomony is still difficult, so maybe this is how they are cutting costs?  SO, if you decide you want to venture up here to visit me, it is an unwritten rule at this point that you should bring me something normal to eat...just kidding!
  Well, I'm sure I'll have much more to say sooner than later. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Nice to hear how you're doing . . . although I'm sorry to hear that you're still in the hospital. I hope that you enjoy "The Help"-I really loved that book! Drop me a line if you get a chance-I know we've been out of touch for a while but I'd love to hear how you are!

    ReplyDelete