Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to my own mom and to all of the other beautiful women in my life!  I'm still here in the hospital carrying a baby who is now 31 wks., 6 days!  As difficult as it is to just sit here, I've realized over the course of this week, that is the job of a mother!  Just like when I became a parent for the first time, I realized how selfish we really are as people.  It was difficult to adjust my own life to a new little one and put her first, but I slowly understood that is how Christ loves us, and how the Father loved us when He put His Son on that cross.  It's not fun when we have to stop having control, putting everything and everyone in order;  God is stretching me right now, so that again, I am ready to be a mother to a new, sweet baby, and realize that my own desires aren't first priority anymore.  This week has shown me that even when I want this and that, and even to go home, my ultimate responsibility has been to sit and help this baby cook a little longer!   Sometimes as moms we don't want to put our kids first...we get tired and drained, up to our necks in laundry, and get tired of attempting to reason with people who don't even come up to our waist!  We lose our patience and our cool sometimes with our kids, and we find ourselves wondering how we ever became a mother in the first place, as we fell so ill-equipped to shape the minds and hearts of such innocent little people (esp. on such little sleep...us, not them!).  But then we must know, in that instant, that we turn to Him to fill in those gaps.  I have been told so many times by so many wise women who have mentored me through motherhood, that God has given me these children and intended these specific children for me...these kids who are picky eaters, who have delayed speech, who try to find ways to intentially push my buttons...yes, these kids!  And I look at them while they sleep at night (which is always the most pleasant time to see our children!!) and know that, yes, God gave me such beautiful gifts to care for and love.   He intended for me, their mother (and father), to walk them through this life, teaching them His love, His power, and the eternal life He has in store for them.  I hope as a mother, this year, and for many to come, I have the strength, wisdom, discernment, and love, to shower my kids so that they come to know and love Him.  I can try to make sure they eat their veggies, go to college, and know appropriate manners, but ultimately God continues to grow and stretch me in my faith (esp. through times like now), so I can only share that with my children and be an example of how to truly rely on Him.  I love each other them so much, and have already come to love this little one inside me in a very deep way. 
  Happy Mother's Day again to all of you special women who have been called "Mom, Mommy, Mother, Go Go, GiGi, or Grandma" as well as those of you women who don't have children, but play a very special role in a child's life. 
   Last, but by no means least, a shout out today to Camden.  Today is his 4th Birthday!!!  It is so special to celebrate him on a special day for a Mom.  In some ways he has been our most challenging, but on a day-to-day basis he is such a precious gift and sweet boy.  I love his big brown eyes, his sweet smile, and every time he talks it makes me smile....love that kid's voice and his ability to be so articulate and ennunciate every word!   He has been such a blessing to our family.  I love that he gets much of his sensitivity from his dad, and that he is beginning to come into his own these last couple months.  Although he still loves his superheroes and their figures, it has been fun to see him wanting to be outside and be "all boy".  He loves shooting baskets in the backyard with his friends or with Cade, and he has enjoyed doing some pitch and catch with Cade.  He's always a real trooper to let Brooklyn be the batter and he plays the outfield with Savannah!  He is such a good little brother and big brother to his sisters.  I am so proud of him and the big boy he is growing up to be.  Looking at his fragile, stick-like figure, I don't see him playing in the NFL, but with his tender heart and willingness to love and chat with people, I really hope he grows up to be a man like his dad.  Love you buddy!

1 comment:

  1. Hope your Mom's day was happy - great perspective here...thanks for the words of wisdom! HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET CAMDEN! - Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete